I can remember a time when slips were worn beneath dresses as a millennial, and there was a time where they became fashionable. They weren’t meant to be stylish; instead, they served an important purpose by allowing dresses (or skirts) made of clingy materials to hang properly. Slips were also worn beneath transparent clothes for cover or like shapewear to create a smoother appeasome slips wereps that were classified as lingerie — the star of the show only behind closed doors.
However, in the 1990s, women started experimenting with slip dresses and discovered that they may be worn as individual pieces. It-girls all over Hollywood were seen wearing slip dresses everywhere, both for a red carpet event and a night out with friends. You could even argue that ladies like Wynona Ryder, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kate Moss, and Iman helped to pave the way for the traditional slip dress — in all its various forms — to become more popular.
From summer 2022, slip dresses are expected to be another 1990s trend that will make a comeback this season. It’s simple, attractive, and still popular among celebrities. Consider how Rihanna wore a lacy black slip dress to an event in New York City in July 2021? Laura Harrier wore a satin cream-colored slip to Jennifer Klein’s Day of Indulgence party weeks later, and Bella Hadid demonstrated the timeless item’s necessity by modeling in a Michael Kors option in Miami.
Slip dresses, on the other hand, are not limited to your spring-summer wardrobe. The garment has even shown itself to be a fantastic layer over long-sleeved garments, so if it’s still cold where you live, consider adding one (or five) to your transitional wardrobe while you wait for temperatures to drop. Continue reading to learn how to wear a slip dress right now and throughout the weeks ahead of you.
The once-lingerie-inspired style has been seen on red carpets, runways, and street style stars for years. If you’re not sure how to wear a slip dress in the summer heat, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered.
Here are a few tips on how to wear a slip dress in the summer:
1. Pair it with a denim jacket or cropped sweater. This is a simple way to style a slip-dress for summer. Just add a denim jacket or cropped sweater on top and you’re good to go.
2. Layer it over a t-shirt or tank top. A more grunge-inspired way to wear a slip dress is to layer it over a t-shirt or tank top. This look is great for those hot summer days when you don’t want to wear anything too revealing.
3. Wear it with sneakers or sandals. Sneakers and dresses might seem like an unlikely combination, but it works quite well. Just make sure to choose a dress that isn’t too long so you don’t risk tripping over it. Sandals are another great option—they’ll keep you cool and comfortable all day long.
4. Accessorize with sunglasses, a straw hat, or gold jewelry. Every good dress needs to be accessorized, and a slip dress is no exception. Sunglasses and a straw hat are perfect for those sunny days, while gold jewelry adds a touch of elegance to the look.
5. Style it with your hair up or down. It’s summer time so you might as well take advantage of the heat and style your hair in an updo. If you’re not into that, then just let your hair down and enjoy the natural breeze.
Now that you know how to wear a slip dress in the summer, it’s time to go shopping Bohme has a large collection of slip dresses and other summer-inspired looks to keep you cool and comfortable all day long.